This website is the personal / professional web site for me (Tom Glaisyer).
It addresses principally my professional interest around the interplay between digital infrastructure, its use, and democratic institutions in society. My hypothesis is that as new communications tools (the social web, the semantic web, geo-sensitive, time-sensitive devices etc.) are adopted the institutions of democracy (the media, governance institutions and NGO’s) will be challenged to transform themselves and accommodate the networked context in which they now find themselves. Necessarily, this leads me to investigate the emerging infrastructure both legal, and technical as I explore the institutional changes that are likely both changing organizational structures and related processes. My research wiki addresses my core interests and contains many of my writings, the virtual thirdside wiki is conceived as a place to collaborate with others interested in these questions but as they relate to international peace and security. (It is currently dormant.) For a resume/bio click here.
New America Foundation
- Knight Media Policy Fellow, 2009 to present
- Doctoral student, Graduate School of Journalism
- Teaching Assistant, International Media, Advocacy and Communications Specialization, School of International and Public Affairs, 2008-10
- Student Affiliate, Center on Organizational Innovation (COI), Institute for Social, Economic Research and Policy, 2006 to present
- Coordinator, Project on Security, Military and Society, Institute for Social, Economic Research and Policy, 2007-2008
- Affiliate, Center for International Conflict Resolution (CICR), School of International and Public Affairs, 2005 to present
- Co-conceived of and support Intlsocialparticipation a website to aggregate and link academic researchers and practitioners in the field of e-community participation. (Site under development)
- Member of the Board of Directors, Outward Bound Center for Peacebuilding
- Co-founder of The Morningside Post (Not presently involved. Still provide occasional advice)